Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Color Black

Icebreaker questions. These can either be very insightful and tell you a lot about a person or as enlightening as asking "What would you like for dinner?" My favorite ice breaker question, aside from the popular what superpower would you pick, is "If you were a color, what color would that be?"
My color. I'd be black.
It's not because I wear it all the time. Nor is it because I agree with Johnny Cash's song "The Man in Black." It's just...me. Black is given a negative stigma much of the time and that is unfortunate. Black isn't totally negative. It isn't totally positive.
Black has a pristine presence. It sticks out on its own but can also blend in with the background when other colors are around. It can see as fearful and scary, but under a different perspective can be seen as comforting, enveloping others like a blanket. Black has depth; it is a void. It is the color of mystery. When you stare into black are you staring at nothing...or staring at something limitless? Is black empty or is it something ready to be filled? Is it a color of completion or a color of potential?
Under self reflection, I am the color of black. With others I stick out due to my personality and size, but I also merge into the social background. To those who don't know me, I have an intimidating presence. To those that just got to know me, I get along well; I compliment most colors. I have a vat of potential in many fields, but are some of those fields filled to its limit. While I am fun loving, I have a more melancholic viewpoint which is darkness; black. I also believe life is without limits...like staring into black. Many of my friends confide to me and think of me as a good listener of their troubles; that I won't judge or expose them...they are comforted that the black can cover-up their flaws or bring out the positive colors. I am independent; colors may be complimented alongside me but cannot be mixed with me. I am cryptic at times, exposed in others, the color of purity in some cultures, the color of the tainted in others. I am black.
What color are you?

4 comments:

Jen Eureka said...

i love this blog. good answer. i would have to say i am hot pink. here's my reasoning. its bright. you dont miss it. its loud and sometimes obnoxious. but yet its very feminine and vibrant and strong. it can stand alone. it can also go with other colors (well at least in my head) its fun. it cant be hidden very easily. its not ashamed to be as bright and loud as it is... it embraces it. its happy. its cheerful. its optimistic.

Anonymous said...

I would be the color "awesome."

The reason is obvious.

Unknown said...

I'm gonna go with bronze. Bronze is a metallic so it's bright and shiny, but it's also the most muted of the metallic colors. It doesn't need all the glory like gold or even silver. It's quite content outside the limelight. And bronze goes well with almost all the other colors as an accent, even though it can stand alone. I think bronze is comfortable in its own skin. Any color that's associated with third place has to be, right?

Anonymous said...

I would be the color purple (lol, sorry, that word play was not intended). Even though pink is my favorite color, I am definately more of a purple. I am purple because I am a good combination of blue and pink. I can be a totally girly girl when I want to, but I am also just as comfortable doing "guy things" like watching football and playing in the mud. I am not so much the typical purple associated with royalty and such, but more of the light pastel purple.