Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Moment with Jerry

In this photo I look like a a hobo, but I'd be damned if I didn't jump at the chance to meet Jerry "The King" Lawler. The King was in the studio today to promote Wrestlemania and the WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony that was coming to Orlando. Raoul, one of the anchors at the TV station, told me that he booked the King with me in mind and that I had to be there. It kinda sucked because I'm sick as a dog and it is my day off, but it was worth it.
Both anchors embarrassed me by telling King that I was a huge wrestling fan (which is true) and was in training (sort of true). We shook hands and he gave me some face time, which was very cool for him to do. I explained that I got hosed over in Cincinnati (he shrugged his shoulders with a "yeah, that sucks, dude, it happens too often" way) and one of the reasons I moved down here was because it was a wrestling hotbed. He gave me a few tips, along with telling me to send a tape of my stuff once I get back into it (I explained to him that I'm incredibly green as hell) to Steve Keirn in Tampa. After signing two photos for me (You're welcome, Rich), Raoul took the picture you see above. I left stating that someday, I'll hopefully get to a point in which you'll commentate during one of my matches. He responded with a smile that suggested a weird combination of a) "Heard that before, kid. We'll see."and b) "Good luck and I hope so."
Thanks for the memory, Mr. Lawler.

2 comments:

Andy said...

That's awesome Barnes.

Tommy said...

It looks like you're filling in for JR for when Jerry starts yelling "Puppies!"