Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hacksaw Put Me Over

So the other night I called and spoke with my brother-from-another-mother, Rich, who is as big of a wrestling fanboy dork as I am. We were reminiscing while watching Monday Night RAW on our respective TV's in Orlando and Athens. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan was on TV (who always entertains me by his goofball antics, chants of "U-S-A!", and the fact his name is "Hacksaw" but he carries a 2x4 wooden board instead of the cutting implement) about to wrestle and we discussed about the time we shared a beer with him at a tavern after an independent wrestling show a few years ago.

Rich and I walked in the bar and many wrestlers from the show were there. They were all very friendly and cordial, especially since Rich and I just had regular "bar-talk" instead of the typical "remember back in when you were in WWE" talk that they usually get from fans. We sat at the bar and spoke with good ol' "Hacksaw" for a few minutes. He was a jolly gentleman and had the thickest pair of glasses I have ever seen. I think they were made out of 4-inch thick bulletproof glass. He politely excused himself because he wanted to "talk to the purty gurls." What? He didn't want to waste his free time with two large, bearded men-children? I then went to speak with B.G. James and Tracy Brooks while Rich was elsewhere. Rich and I then departed.

Now, I told you this story to tell you about this one. As Rich and I were reminiscing about that moment, he stated, "Yeah, Hacksaw was a cool guy until he lied to that kid."
"What?"
"You don't remember?"
"When was this?"
"You were there!"
"All I remember was his funny glasses and his golly-garsh perviness for women half his age."
"He lied to a kid."
"I was talking to B.G. James and Tracy."
"Oh, what happened was that a dad and a kid walked into the bar. The kid walked over to me and asked if I was Duggan (side note: Rich is 6'5" and is a large man like myself, so it's not surprising for the uninitiated to think he or I were wrestlers.), to which I corrected him and pointed to 'Hacksaw.'"
"Okay..."
"Anyway, the kid chats with Duggan who saw the whole incident, I guess he felt a little insulted, and the kid asks if you and I were wrestlers."
"Right.."
"Duggan then states that we were a new tag team and were going to be on WWE in a few weeks."
"What?"
"Yeah, so he lied to a kid. I can't believe you missed that."
"No, no, no, Rich. He didn't lie to the kid."
"What?"
"No. Think positively. Duggan wasn't lying to the kid. 'Hacksaw' put us over."*
"(Laughter) He did!"
"I'm going to write a blog about this."
"I'm going to have to read it."

So that is how I was put over by "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan without even wrestling him or knowing about it. True American.

*- Put over: verb, wrestling slang- To endorse a fellow wrestler, whether voluntarily or through coercion, to make them appear more popular or better despite whether the wrestler who benefits deserves it or not.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Thanks for the definition. I had no idea what you were talking about.