Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Not So Much Writer's Block, but Writer's Boredom/Favorite Internet Video Stars

Since I've been bitten by the writing bug again recently due to finding new stand-up material and a visit from my friend's boyfriend who is a professional screenwriter (look for Anaconda 3, straight-to-DVD in 2010), I decided to dust off an abandoned script that I was writing entitled "World War 2.5" (I'm sure some of you might be either excited, perplexed, worried, or all three). As I am writing this script, I come to realize that I am the kind of writer that needs other things to write about, otherwise I will lose interest. I need to write W.W.2.5 in order to save my brain from getting bored writing stand-up and vice versa.
I also thought that in an effort to make both of those things fresh and new in my brain, that aside from regular blogs that I write, I would also include two top ten lists, in which I will write a little something for each ranking. These two lists shall answer the two important questions that most of you probably ask yourselves: "What are Barnes' Top Ten Favorite Fictional Bands?" and "What are Barnes' Top Ten Favorite Video Game Franchises That Immediately Came To His Mind on April 22, 2008?"
As you can plainly see, my blog is relevant and addresses the real issues. So if something cool comes to mind or if someone wants me to write a Barnesharmonymatch.com.org.tv profile, I'll do so. However, I'll fill in those lists in between those posts. Now, since I don't want a mere blog that is a blog about what's in my blog, here are:

Barnes' Favorite Internet Video Stars That Are Better Than Most Crap That's On Television

Let's face it. Most TV sucks. So where do I go when the idiot box can't entertain or inform me to my standards? The internet of course! Now, 95% of internet video, including youtube, is just home movies, crappy confessions, or just plain bad videos. There are some great diamonds in the huge rough, though. I share some of my favorite diamonds with you, the reader.

Ask a Ninja- What is better than a ninja? No, not pirates, it's a ninja that will gladly answer any query you may have. While the ninja will put his answer in a ninja context (whether your question is ninja related or not), you will be thoroughly informed or at least entertained. With his wild explanations, violent disposition, and cinematography that is reminiscent of the 1960's Batman television series, Ask a Ninja is defintely something to witness. Here are some samples:
The Ninja unearths the truth about an important mythical character.
Can midgets be ninjas? Yes...BEWARE!
Do ninjas go on dates? Of course! Hell, they need a vacation!
You can find other videos on youtube or at http://www.askaninja.com/

Homestar Runner- I know that most of you have probably been to this webpage back in the day, but I still end up going to it and see what Homestar, Bubs, and Strong Bad are up to. It's a great series of toons that never seems to fail to entertain me, whether it be Strong Bad answering emails from fans, little niche cartoons, or fake funny ads for nonexistent products. You can check it all out at http://www.homestarrunner.com/ . Here are samples from the site, like:
A Strong Bad Email: Strong Bad talks about wrestling…what do you expect? It’s my blog.
The first episode of the cult favorite, The Teen Girl Squad!
And ads,like this…it’s creepy because it’s exactly represents my feelings on fast food.

Angry Video Game Nerd- This guy is hilarious. James Rolfe, aspiring filmmaker and internet media maven, is the Angry Video Game Nerd, a nerd who reviews the worst video games of our childhood. His reviews are not just entertaining (warning: ALL of them contain huge amounts of foul language and poop jokes) but make great points that all wannabe and current game creators should bear in mind when making a video game. His early videos are a little bit crude looking, but now that he has financial backing from http://www.gametrailers.com/ and http://www.screwattack.com/ , his videos have a greater quality and even have special effects. His videos can be seen at those sites, on youtube, or at his personal website http://www.cinemassacre.com/. Here are some of my favorites:
Thou shalt not play Wisdom Tree games!
No wonder Silver Surfer is seen as a D list superhero.
The Nerd doesn’t only go after games, but crappy video game accessories as well. Take this, Sega 32X!

Cinefiles- The top contestants from IFC's Ultimate Film Fanatic have gathered together for a round table discussion and debate about various film topics. Their show airs in NYC on a local cable access channel, but they have extended their reach by posting their episodes on youtube along with having a myspace page. Unlike many wannabe critics on the internet, these guys don't crap on all movies like a guy who hates movies nor think a film is good with reasons like "It's just totally awesome!" or "Dude, she shows her tits in it!" These guys know their stuff or at least think that they know so much that they actually research to the point that they actually end up knowing their stuff. And they don't talk about regular flavor of the week movies, they do stuff like:

Discussing political documentaries. No there’s no Michael Moore in this one…they have one about him specifically here.
Talk about films inspired, based on, or totally ripping off author Philip K. Dick.
Also, the Crew debates, discusses, and disgusts over comic book movies.

The Stack- Yeah, I'm a nerd. However, I'm a thrifty nerd. I like comic books, but at $2.99 a pop the price can add up. Enter these guys. They review comics and trade paperbacks so that nerds like me get a heads up on what to check out and what to probably avoid. They cover not only the weekly books, but other stuff as well. You can see them at http://www.pulpsecret.com/ , http://www.newsrama.com/ , or subscribe to them on youtube. Some of their videos include:
Reviews of their favorite graphic novels.
Quality comics that are appropriate for you, your kid brother, and grandad.
New manga that us in the U.S. can sample.

The Kid from Brooklyn- Not to be confused with his adversary,the Guy from Boston, the Kid "tells it like is" and touts to be "The Voice of the People." The Kid is the grumpy, old man that your grandfather lives next door to that reminisces of the good ol' days but, unlike the grandpa's neighbor, acknowledges the current state of affairs. Picture if Grandpa Simpson, Lewis Black, and Archie Bunker are blended together then soaked in a marinade made of foul language and the manners of the stereotypical New Yorker. The Kid's videos can be seen at his site, http://www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com/, but I rather look at his rantings that are posted on youtube.
Disclaimer: The Kid from Brooklyn's views and obscene language, while entertaining, do not necessarily reflect the views of the author of this blog. So don't write to your congressman about me drowning America's values.
The Kid's samples are here:
Based on this rant, I think the Kid hates, hates, hates Valentines Day.
GET OUTTA BROOKLYN, STARBUCKS!
Good to see the Kid care about the state of the economy.

Deep Fried Live!- I don't watch cooking shows. They either a) focus too much on cooking for me to be entertained or b) the personalities on the show annoy me. Well, how is this cooking program different? The chef is an octopus. Did I get your attention? Chef Tako hands out real recipes in this awesome flash cartoon. Not only do you get to learn how to make various dishes while being entertained, the sidebars on the borders of the cartoon have links with various fun facts, other cooking recipes, or links to websites to purchase any necessary cookingware. You can check out the creators' webpage at http://www.8legged.com/ . Some samples are:
Chef Tako teaches us how to cook exotic birds…okay, maybe not that exotic.
Can you make a flan out of pumpkin…apparently, yes!
I never thought I’d ever entertain the thought of cooking meatloaf…until now.

The House of Cosbys- What's better than one Bill Cosby? How about a house filled with them? Let me explain via the theme song:
He was a Cosby fan at heart, it's clear
He searched and found a Cosby hair
He spent ten long years and built a cloning machine
And now he's accomplished his wonderful dream
To make a House of Cosbys
It's a House of Cosbys

Rather than spoil it for you, watch the first episode of this funny yet unfortunately discontinued cartoon that you can easily search for on youtube. Be forewarned, some episodes have crude language and some Cosby related nudity.

So if you're bored, check some of these things out. Also, please send a link to some of your favorite ongoing internet video series on the comments page to this email to share your favorite videos with me and my fellow blog readers. Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my recommendations are:

Chad Vader--Darth Vader's brother is the day shift manager at a grocery store. You can find it on Youtube.

Uncle Jay Explains-- A "news show" every Monday. Uncle Jay explains the news in a way that the children can understand it. http://www.unclejayexplains.com